The dog days of summer are almost here. Modeled after TXU Energy’s voluntary summer customer protections, recent Public Utilities Commission of Texas rule changes now require all electricity providers to offer protections to eligible customers. TXU Energy reminds eligible customers that this “moratorium” on summer disconnects starts July 1 and that heat safety tips are important to stay safe and save money during the hot Texas summer.
Customers must contact TXU Energy at (800) 242-9113 on or after July 1 to notify the company of their needs and to see if they qualify for special, more flexible payment plans. These measures will be in effect July 1 through September 30, 2011.
“We want to make sure that our most vulnerable customers have the help they need when they need it most,” said Jim Burke, chief executive officer, TXU Energy. “Now that all electricity providers are required to offer these protections, we remind customers to call us and sign up for these summer protections and to incorporate our heat safety tips to stay cool this summer.”
Some of the recommended heat safety tips include:
- Drink one glass of cool water for every 20 minutes of heat exposure.
- Avoid eating hot foods and heavy meals.
- Wear loose, light-colored absorbent cotton clothing.
Some of the recommended energy conservation tips include:
- Temperature settings – Set thermostats at about 78 degrees during the summer. Turn thermostats up or down automatically without sacrificing comfort by installing a programmable thermostat. Use ceiling fans in the “down” mode at the highest speed to push cooler air back down into the room.
- Window treatments – Install storm or thermal windows and doors or double-paned glass. A less expensive alternative is plastic sheeting, which can be temporarily fastened over doors and windows to prevent drafts and retain cool air.
- Air leaks – Check for air leaks in air ducts, windows, plumbing utilities, fireplace flues, attic entrances and recessed light fixtures.
- Air conditioning filters – Clean or replace your air conditioner’s filter monthly to help it run more efficiently.
- Light bulbs – Replace traditional incandescent light bulbs with CFLs. You can run four CFLs for the same cost as running just one incandescent bulb.
- For more tips, please visit txu.com/energytips.
About TXU Energy
TXU Energy is a market-leading competitive retailer that provides electricity and related services to approximately 2 million electricity customers in Texas. TXU Energy offers a variety of innovative products and solutions, allowing both its residential and business customers to choose options that best meet their needs, including exceptional customer service, competitively priced electricity service plans, innovative energy efficiency options, renewable energy programs and other electricity-related products and services. Visit txu.com for more information about TXU Energy. REP #10004.