TXU Energy Making a Difference in Local Communities
TXU Energy AidSM , Low-Income Assistance & TXU Energy Urban Tree Farm Among TXU Energy's Commitments
In addition to programs like its current summer moratorium on disconnects for those in need (through September 30, 2010), the Texas electricity provider and its employees are sharing their time, talents and resources with organizations and initiatives that benefit local communities.
"As a community partner, we believe that growing relationships with customers, neighbors and service organizations is also vital to growing communities," said Kelli Rod, vice president of community relations. "Our commitment to corporate social responsibility strengthens our organization and creates vital links with the Texas communities we serve."
Just a few of the Texas electricity provider's corporate programs include:
- TXU Energy AidSM. In order to help families in critical situations meet their electricity needs, TXU Energy developed this long-standing assistance initiative allowing customers to make donations and help those in need. For every $1 donated by customers, TXU Energy also contributes approximately $5 to the assistance program. Since 1983, it has provided more than $61 million in electricity bill-payment assistance, helping more than 365,000 families throughout the state of Texas.
- Energy Assistance Workshops. For eight consecutive years these workshops have provided partnering organizations education and training, including general information about the company, the changing electricity market, service plans and the provider's commitment to the community.
- TXU Energy Solar AcademySM. TXU Energy brings solar energy education to the classroom by partnering with National Energy Education Development Project (NEED) to implement their nationally recognized solar energy education program into Texas schools. Each of the selected school districts receives a free 1-kW solar array. Students and teachers can track how much energy is being generated by their school on the Web and incorporate the real-time data into their lesson plans.
- TXU Energy Urban Tree Farm. TXU Energy partners with the Texas Trees Foundation to maintain the largest non-profit urban tree farm in the nation. The Texas electricity provider and community volunteers have planted over a hundred thousand trees, provided to neighborhood associations, schools, non-profit organizations, cities and government entities statewide.
- Low-Income Customer Discount Program. This 10 percent discount for participating low-income customers is in addition to the one provided by the State of Texas' System Benefit Fund. As of August 2010, almost 154,950 TXU Energy customers have been enrolled.
- Supporting Supplier Diversity. Businesses in Texas looking for an energy supplier will find that TXU Energy is focused on more than just selling electricity - TXU Energy also spends millions each year helping small businesses grow. In 2009 alone, TXU Energy spent approximately $22.6 million on goods and services provided by certified minority- and women-owned business enterprises.
As a leader in energy conservation, TXU Energy also works to continuously educate hundreds of thousands of consumers on the importance of saving electricity through various programs like Energy Audits, Home Energy Makeovers and Become Your Own Personal Energy Manager presentations across Texas. For more information about TXU Energy's community commitments visit txu.com.
About TXU Energy
TXU Energy is a market-leading competitive retailer that provides electricity and related services to more than 2 million electricity customers in Texas. TXU Energy offers a variety of innovative products and solutions, allowing both its residential and business customers to choose options that best meet their needs, including exceptional customer service, competitively priced electricity service plans, innovative energy efficiency options, renewable energy programs and other electricity-related products and services. Visit txu.com for more information about TXU Energy. REP #10004.