With widespread outages as a result of Hurricane Ike, TXU Energy reminds and encourages its customers to report outages by calling 1-800-233-2133.
This toll-free telephone number is available 24-hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week for reporting electricity outages. Spanish-speaking customer service representatives are available. TXU Energy immediately contacts the appropriate local electric delivery utility to initiate restoration of service.
- Unplug sensitive electronics, like televisions and computers, and appliances that have motors, like air conditioners or electric space heaters. This action may prevent appliances from being damaged by power variations that can occur when power is restored.
- Turn off all electrical appliances that were on when the power went off, especially heat pumps, air conditioners or electric heat. This action may prevent appliances from being damaged by power variations that can occur when power is restored.
- Keep freezer and refrigerator doors closed. Food will generally stay frozen for 36 to 48 hours in a fully loaded freezer if you keep the door closed. A half-full freezer will generally keep food frozen for 24 hours.
- Insulate the freezer with newspapers, rugs or blankets to keep it cold even longer. As soon as power returns, check temperatures. If the food in the freezer has ice crystals and is not above 40° F, you can refreeze. Perishable foods in the refrigerator should not be above 40° F for more than two hours.
- Keep curtains closed and limit trips outside to retain heat for a longer period.
- Make sure to have flashlights, a battery-powered radio and fresh batteries in an easily accessible area.
- Keep a battery-operated radio tuned to a local station. If the power outage is extensive or if there are rotating outages, announcements will be made on the radio.
For additional information on outages go to: http://www.txu.com/residential/Power_Outages.htm
About TXU Energy
TXU Energy is a market-leading competitive retailer that provides electricity and related services to more than 2.1 million electricity customers in Texas. TXU Energy offers a variety of innovative products and solutions, allowing both its residential and business customers to choose options that best meet their needs, including exceptional customer service, competitively priced electricity service plans, innovative energy efficiency options, renewable energy programs and other electricity-related products and services. Visit www.txuenergy.com for more information about TXU Energy. REP #10004.