What You Need to Know About Lubbock Electricity Deregulation and Energy Choice
Since 2002 , millions of Texans have been able to choose their electricity provider, thanks to the deregulation of the energy market. Lubbock, TX is joining the list of cities that have retail electric competition, meaning homeowners, renters and business owners in Lubbock have the power to choose their electricity provider. Starting on January 5, 2024, residents in Lubbock can shop for an electricity plan that fits their needs and budget. Here are some answers to the most common questions about electricity choice, how to find a Lubbock electricity company and some quick facts about TXU Energy, the most trusted provider in Texas.
When does Lubbock, TX plan to deregulate energy?
Lubbock Power & Light (LP&L) has been working toward deregulation in Lubbock for several years. Energy choice will finally be available in Lubbock on January 5, 2024. Between January 5 and February 15, Lubbock residents can learn about Texas electricity providers and sign up with the one they like the best, based on the type of plan, benefits and service they offer.
Why did Lubbock decide to deregulate electricity?Competition is great for consumers – it typically means more competitive pricing and better service, as providers have to work hard for customers’ loyalty. LP&L decided to transition to retail competition at the request of its customers to give them a better electricity service experience.
What does Lubbock electricity deregulation mean for LP&L?
LP&L will continue to maintain the poles and wires in your area, restore power if there’s an outage and service the meters that measure power, but they’ll no longer supply electricity once the transition starts. Your new provider will sell you your power, provide customer support and deliver your monthly bill.
What will Lubbock electricity bills look like?
Your bill will include charges for the electricity you use, as well as charges from LP&L for monthly delivery and the transition to competitive electricity. These delivery charges can make up to a third of your total bill and are the same regardless of the electricity provider you choose in Lubbock. Lubbock Utilities will continue to send you a bill for water and waste, but it will no longer include electricity.
When do you choose your electricity provider in Lubbock?
The open enrollment period is January 5 – February 15, 2024, when everyone will have an opportunity to choose. In March, your service will automatically transition from LP&L to your new provider. And while some people may want to take a wait-and-see approach, keep in mind that if you don’t choose an electricity plan and provider by February 15, you’ll be automatically assigned one.
What should you consider when shopping for electricity in Lubbock?
We highly recommend doing a little research before choosing your provider. LP&L has a list of approved providers you can start your search with. Here are some helpful guidelines to choosing the right fit:
- Look for plans that fit your life – Texas electricity plans have unique features that help you save when you need it most, offer satisfying rewards and keep your energy rate steady with year-long price protection. And if you’re looking for renewable energy in Lubbock, you can find solar and electric vehicle energy plans at affordable rates.
- See what convenient online tools they offer – Look for tools that make it easier to manage your account and monitor your electricity use. We offer a helpful mobile app that you can use to keep up with your usage, pay your bill and find easy ways to save energy around your home.
- Ask about customer service – You’ll want to pick a provider that’s easy to get in touch with if you ever have questions. You can rest assured that our team of energy experts is here for you 24/7, 365.
- Ask about their satisfaction guarantee – A satisfaction guarantee will give you extra peace of mind when choosing a plan. With our Total Satisfaction Guarantee, you’ll have a period of 60 days where you can change your plan or switch to another provider free of charge, so you have the best of both worlds, a plan with price protection and flexibility.
- Negative ratings and reviews – Be sure to check out ratings and reviews for providers on Google or their star rating with the Public Utility Commission of Texas. TXU Energy’s at the top of the list with 5 stars, thanks to the effort we put behind serving our customers.
- Teaser rates and short term lengths – Sometimes what looks like a good rate may only last 3 or 6 months, and then you have to turn right around and choose again. 12-month plans work well for most Texans. Be sure to read the Electricity Facts Label (EFL) to ensure your rate will stay the same regardless of how much energy you use. Some providers’ rates can change dramatically depending on how much you use.
- Hidden fees – Some providers charge extra fees that you might not notice until you call or it’s time to pay your bill. For example, they might charge you a fee to talk to a customer service representative. That’s never the case with us, and we’ll always be transparent about the rate you’re paying and what’s included.
How should businesses shop for commercial electricity rates in Lubbock?
Businesses in Lubbock have unique energy needs, and our team can help you find a competitively-priced plan that fits yours. We offer both turnkey and customized energy plans, and you can learn more by calling our business specialists at 800-369-4921.
How do I sign up for a TXU Energy plan?
There are a few ways you can shop with us and sign up once the market opens.
- Call us at 800-TXU-SAVE and one of our dedicated Lubbock specialists can assist you.
- Sign up online when it’s convenient for you. We’ll ask you a few simple questions to recommend the right plan for your home and electricity use.
- Chat with one of our live agents standing by.
- Sign up in person at the educational fairs LP&L is hosting in January and February.
Since this may be your first time shopping for an electricity provider, we want to make it as easy as possible for you. If you have additional questions, call our team dedicated to Lubbock at 800-TXU-SAVE to get the answers you need.