Tips for Starting a New Business
You’re really doing it – you’re starting a new business.
Congrats! With a lot to get done before your business is up and running, it’s time to cross some quick items off your growing to-do list. Don’t forget, if you have questions or need new electricity service, our business specialists are here to help.
For any type of business:
- File a DBA name (Assumed Name / Doing Business As) with your county clerk’s office.
- Check with your Transmission and Distribution Utility (TDU) to see if you need a city inspection.
- Contact your city hall to ask about a certificate of occupancy, required building or fire code inspections, and other permits you may need prior to getting electricity service. Your TDU will need to confirm these before we can start your service.
- If you’re leasing, discuss paying for any repairs or other building requirements you have with the property owner.
- Know your sales tax identification number, or your Social Security number (SSN) if you’re a sole proprietor, to make your request for new electricity service quicker and easier.
For new construction:
- Call your TDU and request a permanent meter electric service identifier (ESI ID) for your location, which is a unique numerical code that identifies your meter.
- Keep in mind new meter installations may take several days, based on your TDU and when we receive your request.
Protect your business from costly surge damage.
Being prepared for extreme weather events can save your business thousands of dollars – especially here in Texas, where the weather has a will of its own. TXU Business Surge Protect covers the cost of repair or replacement of your electrical items from surge damage with coverage up to $10,000 per year.*
You can add TXU Business Surge Protect to your plan or start new service with us by calling our business specialists.
|TXU Business Surge Protect 2K
|TXU Business Surge Protect 5K
|TXU Business Surge Protect 10K
Need more help?
- Talk with a TXU Energy business specialist at 855-881-0489 (Mon-Fri 7 a.m.–7 p.m., Sat 8 a.m.–5 p.m.)
- Request a custom electricity quote for your business.
- Contact your TDU:
Oncor Electric Delivery
* Warranty materials will be mailed to you with full details on eligibility, coverage, and exclusions. You have 30 days from your enrollment date to decide whether you want to keep the coverage or call and cancel your enrollment before you are billed. Warranty coverage is for a one-year term that will begin automatically after the 30-day review period unless you cancel during that time. You may also cancel at any time without penalty after coverage begins if you have not filed a claim. If a claim has been made when you cancel, you may be billed for the lesser of either the remaining payments in the term or the paid amount of the claims made during the term. Upon expiration of the initial term, your coverage will automatically renew, at the issuing Company’s option. Warranty will be billed on your monthly TXU Energy electricity bill. TXU Energy is an authorized seller for warranties provided, administered and serviced by Cinch Home Services and its subsidiary HomeSure of America, Inc., and is not responsible for claims or service related to your coverage. Available to eligible TXU Energy business customers.