TXU Energy Offers Cool Ways to “Beat the Heat” This Summer
TXU Energy travels statewide, helping the community stay safe and save money during the summer
Dallas Mavericks fans weren’t the only ones chanting “Beat the Heat” this summer – TXU Energy has been championing its own signature “Beat the Heat” summer program for years.
Temperatures are rising, but Texans can find relief through TXU Energy's Beat the Heat program. TXU Energy will travel the state to educate consumers about ways to prevent heat-related emergencies and manage their energy consumption.
"Most Texans are fully aware of summer's sweltering temperatures in Texas," said Kelli Rod, vice president of community relations for TXU Energy. "But many are not aware of the potential health and financial risks. Through TXU Energy's Beat the Heat program, we provide consumers across the state with easy ways to stay safe, stay cool and save money during the summer."
Some of the recommended heat safety tips include:
- Drink one glass of cool water for every 20 minutes of heat exposure.
- Wear loose, light-colored absorbent cotton clothing.
- Avoid eating hot foods and heavy meals.
Recommended energy saving tips include:
- Temperature settings - Set thermostats at about 78 degrees during the summer. Turn thermostats up or down automatically without sacrificing comfort by installing a programmable thermostat. Use ceiling fans in the "down" mode at the highest speed to push cooler air back down into the room.
- Light bulbs - Replace traditional incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs). You can run four CFLs for the same cost as running just one incandescent bulb.
- Window treatments - Install storm or thermal windows and doors or double-paned glass. A less expensive alternative is plastic sheeting, which can be temporarily fastened over doors and windows to prevent drafts and retain cool air.
- Air leaks - Check for air leaks in and around air ducts, windows, plumbing utilities, fireplace flues, attic entrances and recessed light fixtures.
- Air conditioning filters - Clean or replace the filter in your air conditioner monthly to help it run more efficiently.
- For more tips, please visit txu.com/energytips.
About TXU Energy
TXU Energy is a market-leading competitive retailer that provides electricity and related services to approximately 2 million electricity customers in Texas. TXU Energy offers a variety of innovative products and solutions, allowing both its residential and business customers to choose options that best meet their needs, including exceptional customer service, competitively priced electricity service plans, innovative energy efficiency options, renewable energy programs and other electricity-related products and services. Visit txu.com for more information about TXU Energy. REP #10004.