TXU Energy Announces Statewide "Beat the Heat" Initiative
TXU Energy offers consumers a variety of ways to "Beat the Heat" this summer
TXU Energy is joining forces with Texas community organizations to promote several ways that customers can "Beat the Heat" this summer. Through this statewide summer initiative, TXU Energy will educate consumers on energy conservation, heat safety, bill-payment assistance, and summer protections regarding disconnects, deposit waivers and cancellation fees.
"Research shows that many customers, especially the elderly, are most likely to be affected by the sweltering heat - especially here in Texas," said Kelli Rod, Director of Community Relations for TXU Energy. "We are committed to supporting the health and well-being of our customers during the blistering summer months. Through our efforts to educate customers and demonstrate ways to beat the heat, we are certain customers can save money and stay safe."
TXU Energy community relations managers will host workshops in various cities to educate consumers on simple, low-cost ways to conserve energy inside their homes and promote heat safety. In total, TXU Energy will distribute approximately 30,000 compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) to consumers through community organizations, which will have environmental benefits equivalent to preventing nearly 11,000 tons of carbon dioxide emissions over the lifespan of the light bulbs.
Some of the recommended energy conservation tips include:
- Temperature settings - Set thermostats at about 78 degrees during the summer. Turn thermostats up or down automatically without sacrificing comfort by installing a programmable thermostat. Use ceiling fans in the "down" mode at the highest speed to push cooler air back down into the room.
- Window treatments - Install storm or thermal windows and doors or double-paned glass. A less expensive alternative is plastic sheeting, which can be temporarily fastened over doors and windows to prevent drafts and retain cool air.
- Air leaks - Check for air leaks in air ducts, windows, plumbing utilities, fireplace flues, attic entrances and recessed light fixtures.
- Air Conditioning filters - Clean or replace your air conditioner's filter monthly to help your air conditioner run more efficiently.
- Light bulbs - Replace traditional incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs. You can run four compact fluorescent light bulbs for the same cost as running just one incandescent bulb.
For more tips, please visit http://www.txu.com for more information about TXU Energy and http://www.txucorp.com/ for more information about TXU Corp.