Summer is the season for moving. But before you start packing up boxes, forwarding mail and pulling your hair out, TXU Energy offers you a helpful moving guide that can make your move easier.
The first step of any successful move is to gather the right supplies, like plenty of boxes, scissors, box cutters, packing tape, tape dispenser, permanent markers and packing tissue or newspaper. After you've done that, keep these simple moving tips in mind:
- Make a list. Before you pack even one box, create a simple record-keeping system. Place a number on every box you pack and write down the contents on your list.
- Color coordinate. Designate a color for each room in the new home. Apply colored stickers on each box and a matching sticker on the door to each room so you or the movers will know where to put everything when the boxes arrive.
- Keep things together. Keep bookends with books, light bulbs with lamps, extension cords with appliances, etc.
- Have a "parts" box. Keep this box open on the kitchen counter and fill it with cables, cords, parts, pieces, brackets or nails that are removed from any items. Mark it well so it can be easily located on move-in day.
- Fill prescriptions. Before you get swamped in the busy moving season, get your prescriptions filled. You'll want to have enough to get you through your entire move.
- Leave appliance manuals. Before you move out, find the manuals for major appliances you're leaving behind and set them aside for the new homeowners. This little effort will make a huge difference to them.
- Close safe-deposit boxes. If you're moving to a new neighborhood, don't forget to close out your safe-deposit box. You don't want to leave any important possessions behind.
- Transfer home electric service and other utilities. When you connect utilities (electricity, gas, phone, water, etc.) at your new home, don't forget to disconnect utilities at your old home.
- Forward mail. A few days before your move, complete a U.S. Postal Service Change of Address form.
- Update addresses. Update your driver's license and homeowners/renters/auto/health/life insurance policies with your new address.
- Update car registration. If moving into or out of state, don't forget to register your car with the Department of Transportation.
If you're moving to or within Texas and need to sign up for home electric service, TXU Energy wants to be the first to welcome you. Tell us when you're moving and we'll send you a pack of new-home essentials, including two compact fluorescent bulbs, a movers' checklist and energy-saving tips. If you're moving out of state, see if your new energy provider offers something similar.
For more moving tips, tools or information about our innovative products, visit txu.com.
About TXU Energy
TXU Energy is a market-leading competitive retailer that provides electricity and related services to more than 2 million electricity customers in Texas. TXU Energy offers a variety of innovative products and solutions, allowing both its residential and business customers to choose options that best meet their needs, including exceptional customer service, competitively priced electricity service plans, innovative energy efficiency options, renewable energy programs and other electricity-related products and services. Visit txu.com for more information about TXU Energy. REP #10004.