Storms can come in quickly, bringing severe weather and danger for those who aren't prepared. So we've created this easy checklist for you and your company to turn to when the skies turn dark.
Before A Storm
- Unplug computers, electrical equipment, and appliances.
- Evacuate your offices immediately, if told to do so by the authorities. If you can't leave, seek shelter or call local authorities for assistance.
During A Storm
- Stay inside.
- Avoid windows, skylights, glass doors, and elevators.
- Stay tuned to the local radio stations, using battery-operated radios, to know when it's safe to re-emerge from shelter.
- Use flashlights or battery-operated lamps. Do not use candles or open flames indoors.
- Don't attempt to reset circuit breakers.
After A Storm
- Be patient. Local utility crews will be activated to restore power immediately after the storm.
- Stay away from downed or sparking power lines, and be sure to report them immediately.
- Check equipment and appliances for water damage and ensure all cords are dry before plugging them into wall sockets.
- Do not stand in water when operating switches or plugging and unplugging equipment.
- Use your telephone only for emergency calls.