As a mover, you've got a lot on your mind. You might even forget a thing or two along the way. To help keep you on track, here's a moving timeline. Good luck and happy moving!
Try to allow at least 30 days for the entire process, and try to avoid weekends and the last days of a month for your actual moving date if you decide to use movers. Moving companies typically charge more during peak moving times.
6-8 Weeks Before
- Research your new community – local chambers of commerce are a good place to start.
- Take inventory of what you want to take with you and what you can sell, donate or discard.
- Schedule a set packing day. Or better yet, start slowly packing. You can find boxes and supplies at retail stores, moving companies and storage units.
- Arrange to have your current utilities shut-off and start researching new companies. You can start or transfer service with us easily. Just saying.
- Change your postal address and notify your credit card company, insurance company, online subscriptions, etc.
- Schedule movers or reserve moving equipment.
2-4 Weeks Before Your Move
- Pack most of your belongings.
- Safely dispose of all hazardous materials (surplus paint, solvents, etc.) – especially if they're flammable.
- Service your vehicle if you’re driving to your new home.
- Schedule the transfer of services to your new home.
- Inspect your current home and make a list of repairs.
1 Week Before Your Move
- Dispose of perishable foods and consider donating nonperishable foods you don’t want to a local food bank.
- Arrange for child/pet care for moving day.
- Pre-pack suitcases.
- Clean your current home.
- Pack bed linens in dresser drawers for ease of moving.
- If using a moving company, be available to supervise the process and get copies of shipping documents.
- Take a deep breath, relax and get moving!