Choose TXU Energy for simple, straightforward savings on electricity. View Plans
Moving can be pretty hard on the environment – long drives with heavy loads mean that gallons of extra gas are used and CO2 emissions skyrocket, mountains of packing materials and old items are sent to the landfill, and products are shipped from around the globe to make your new home complete.
Fortunately, Earth-friendly moving isn’t difficult – it just takes a few minor adjustments and a little planning. So before you buy another bag of packing peanuts and another dozen moving boxes, check out our top Earth-friendly moving tips:
- Find an Earth-friendly moving company to help you with your move.
- Properly inflate the tires on your moving truck to get better gas mileage.
- Save fuel and money by choosing the right-sized truck or van for your move to begin with.
- Use reusable/recycled/recyclable moving boxes, crates or bins.
- Use your own items as packing "crates." For instance, a kitchen stockpot offers plenty of room to store your salt and pepper grinders – and you can safely nest your cleaning supplies in a trash can.
- Be creative with padding by using old newspapers, towels, t-shirts, linen napkins, placemats or blankets.
- Reduce the weight of the load in your moving truck and help reduce your carbon footprint:
- Give non-perishable food items to friends, family or a food bank.
- Recycle anything you can before you move.
- Host a garage sale or donate items that you no longer want
- Offset your carbon footprint by making a donation to a green charity, like the Texas Trees Foundation or one of the partner organizations of the National Energy Education Development (NEED) Project.
To find more Earth-friendly moving tips and plan your next move, explore other areas of the TXU Energy Move Center, or contact us for more information.
And to save money while being more eco-friendly after your move, learn more about the renewable energy plans at TXU Energy.