Storms can come in quickly, bringing severe weather and danger for those who aren't prepared, so we created this easy checklist for you to turn to when the skies turn dark.
Before A Storm
- Unplug electrical appliances and equipment.
- Prepare an emergency kit with non-perishable food, medicines, baby supplies, pet food, flashlights, battery-operated radios, extension cords and extra batteries.
- Evacuate immediately, if told to do so by the authorities. If you can't leave, seek shelter or call local authorities for assistance.
- If someone in your home is dependent on electric life-sustaining medical equipment, make arrangements to relocate quickly.
During A Storm
- Stay indoors.
- Avoid windows, skylights, glass doors and elevators.
- Stay tuned to the local radio stations, using battery-operated radios, to know when it's safe to emerge from shelter.
- Use flashlights or battery-operated lamps. Do not use candles or open flames indoors. Don't attempt to reset circuit breakers.
After A Storm
- Be patient. Local utility crews will be activated to restore power immediately after the storm.
- Stay away from downed or sparking power lines and be sure to report them immediately.
- Check appliances for water damage and ensure all cords are dry before plugging them into wall sockets.
- Do not stand in water when operating switches or plugging and unplugging appliances.
- Use your telephone only for emergency calls.