Storms can come in quickly, bringing severe weather and danger for those who aren't prepared, so we've created this easy checklist for you and your employees to turn to when the skies turn dark. We recommend distributing it to your workforce, including it in manuals, and posting it in communal areas.
Before A Storm
- Unplug computers, electrical equipment, and appliances.
- Evacuate your offices, buildings, and other work environments immediately if told to do so by the authorities. If some of your employees can't leave, seek shelter or call local authorities for assistance.
During A Storm
- Stay inside.
- Avoid windows, skylights, glass doors, and elevators.
- Stay tuned to the local radio stations, using battery-operated radios, to know when it's safe to re-emerge from shelter.
- Use flashlights or battery-operated lamps. Do not use candles or open flames indoors.
- Don't attempt to reset circuit breakers.
After A Storm
- Be patient. Local utility crews will be activated to restore power immediately after the storm.
- Stay away from downed or sparking power lines. But be sure to report them immediately.
- Check equipment and appliances for water damage, and ensure all cords are dry before plugging them into wall sockets.
- Do not stand in water when operating switches or plugging and unplugging equipment.
- Use the telephone only for emergency calls.