Record breaking cold temperatures are prompting controlled, rolling power outages throughout the state. TXU Energy is urging all residential and business customers to scale back on energy usage until the cold snap is over. These outages are being required by ERCOT, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which is the entity responsible for ensuring the reliability of the electric grid in Texas. These outages are being executed locally by the transmission and distribution utility companies.
- Turn off all lights, appliance and electronics not being used
- Do not use dishwasher, laundry equipment, or other home appliances between the hours of 6:00-9:00 am and 4:00-8:00 pm
- Set thermostat to 70 degrees or less, and several degrees cooler overnight
- Close heating vents in unoccupied rooms
- Minimize number of times that doors to the outside are opened and closed
- Businesses should minimize the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible
For more information about the rolling outages and conservation: http://www.puc.state.tx.us/ocp/conserve/index.cfm
For more tips and tools to help you save energy and money year round: http://www.txu.com/energysolutions
About TXU Energy:
TXU Energy is a market-leading competitive retailer that provides electricity and related services to more than 2 million electricity customers in Texas. TXU Energy offers a variety of innovative products and solutions, allowing both its residential and business customers to choose options that best meet their needs, including exceptional customer service, competitively priced electricity service plans, innovative energy efficiency options, renewable energy programs and other electricity-related products and services. Visit txu.com for more information about TXU Energy. REP #10004.