TXU Energy Outlines Facts to Consider When Comparing Energy Plans
Factors That Could Greatly Impact Your Monthly Bill - And Cost You More in the Long Run
When you start to compare electricity rates you may just be shopping for the lowest prices possible. But before making any decisions, it's important to know that sometimes those too-good-to-be-true prices are just that.
"When you compare energy rates to find a plan that fits your lifestyle, it's important to choose the right provider," says Michael Grasso, chief marketing officer at TXU Energy. "Look for one with longevity and stability. Choose an electricity provider that also offers knowledgeable, round-the-clock customer service, straightforward pricing and transparent terms that you can understand."
Whether you're a TXU Energy customer or not, we believe it's crucial that you understand the following factors that could greatly impact your monthly bill - and cost you more in the long run:
- Introductory or Variable Rate Plans. When you see unusually cheap electricity rates, take a look to see if they're variable rate plans. These energy plans generally have a low "introductory" or "promotional" rate for the first month of service. But after that, the energy provider may increase your rate as much as they want without telling you ahead of time...and you likely won't know about it until you open your next bill and are already charged that higher rate. To prevent this from happening, be sure that you look on the Electricity Facts Label (EFL) to determine if it's a variable rate plan. (In the best interest of our customers, TXU Energy chooses not to offer variable rate plans . Rather, we only offer consumer-friendly fixed rate and indexed rate plans.
- Minimum Usage Fees. If you select a variable rate plan, you may also be required to use a minimum amount of electricity each month. If you don't meet the minimum kilowatt hour usage, you'll be forced to pay a fee. These types of fees can add up quickly, increasing your overall monthly electricity bill.
Now that you know that "low introductory" rates aren't always what they might seem, you'll find having a customer-focused provider like TXU Energy a much safer choice. Some benefits we give back to our customers include:
- Rewards. Find plans that reward you with cash back on the electricity you use.
- Price Protected Electricity Rates. Lock in your price with a guaranteed rate to avoid fluctuations in energy prices.
- AutoPay. Choose to have your payments automatically deducted from your bank account or credit/debit card. This can cut down on late fees or the risk of service interruption.
- Average Monthly Billing. Average your monthly electric bills over 12 months, making monthly payments more predictable.
- Payment Assistance. Take advantage of moratoriums on disconnects, as well as waivers on deposits and other programs if ever needed.
For more important information about comparing electricity rates, or to learn about innovative products, solutions and competitively priced energy plans offered by TXU Energy, visit txu.com.
About TXU Energy
TXU Energy is a market-leading competitive retailer that provides electricity and related services to more than 2 million electricity customers in Texas. TXU Energy offers a variety of innovative products and solutions, allowing both its residential and business customers to choose options that best meet their needs, including exceptional customer service, competitively priced electricity service plans, innovative energy efficiency options, renewable energy programs and other electricity-related products and services. Visit txu.com for more information about TXU Energy. REP #10004.