TXU Energy Helps Texans Beat the Heat
TXU Energy travels statewide, helping the community stay safe and save money during the summer
As temperatures rise across the state, TXU Energy will help consumers save money and stay safe while keeping cool through its Beat the Heat program.
"It's important that Texans understand there are easy, cost-saving solutions available," said Kelli Rod, vice president of community relations for TXU Energy." Through TXU Energy's Beat the Heat program, we will educate consumers across the state about essential information necessary to better manage energy consumption and lower monthly electricity bills."
Some of the recommended energy conservation tips include:
- Temperature settings - Set thermostats at about 78 degrees during the summer. Turn thermostats up or down automatically without sacrificing comfort by installing a programmable thermostat. Use ceiling fans in the ?down? mode at the highest speed to push cooler air back down into the room.
- Light bulbs - Replace traditional incandescent light bulbs with CFLs. You can run four CFLs for the same cost as running just one incandescent bulb.
- Window treatments - Install storm or thermal windows and doors or double-paned glass. A less expensive alternative is plastic sheeting, which can be temporarily fastened over doors and windows to prevent drafts and retain cool air.
- Air leaks - Check for air leaks in air ducts, windows, plumbing utilities, fireplace flues, attic entrances and recessed light fixtures.
- Air Conditioning filters - Clean or replace the filter in your air conditioner monthly to help it run more efficiently.
For more tips, please visit txu.com/beattheheat
Research shows the elderly and young children are most likely to be affected by the heat. This summer, TXU Energy is partnering with community organizations across the state to promote heat safety. In addition, the company will distribute heat safety information to approximately 20,000 Texans.
Some of the recommended heat safety tips include:
- Drink one glass of cool water for every 20 minutes of heat exposure.
- Wear loose, light-colored absorbent cotton clothing.
- Avoid eating hot foods and heavy meals.
Summer Customer Protections
In addition to Beat the Heat, the company recently announced a comprehensive set of customer protection programs for the summer:
- Summer Moratorium on Disconnects
Customers designated as low-income, ill or disabled and/or who are at least 62 years of age can avoid disconnection of service due to non-payment by contacting TXU Energy at (800) 242-9113 and asking for a deferred payment plan.
- Waiver of Deposits
TXU Energy waives deposits for residential customers who are at least 62 years of age and for any residential customer with an electric bill payment history of no more than one late payment during the prior 12-month period. Other waivers are also available.
$250 Million Commitment to Customer Assistance and Energy Efficiency Initiatives
These customer protections are in addition to a comprehensive set of commitments previously announced that represent a commitment of $250 million through 2012, including:
- $125 Million Commitment to Low-Income Customer Discount Program
TXU Energy plans to invest $125 million through 2012 (or approximately $25 million per year) to a special year-round low-income discount program. TXU Energy is the only retail electric company in Texas that voluntarily provides an approximate 10 percent discount for participating low-income customers. This discount is in addition to the one provided by the System Benefit Fund ? the state directed program for low-income assistance on energy bills.
- $25 Million Commitment to TXU Energy AidSM Program
Working with approximately 800 social service agencies statewide, TXU Energy currently administers and helps fund the TXU Energy AidSM program, which benefits low-income customers, senior citizens and other customers who have an emergency need for bill payment assistance. TXU Energy plans to contribute $5 million per year for TXU Energy AidSM through 2012, in addition to any funds received from customers and employees for this important program. This program is the largest bill payment assistance program among electricity companies in the nation.
- $100 Million Commitment to Energy Efficiency and Conservation Investments
Additionally, TXU Energy plans to spend $100 million through 2012 to help customers reduce the amount of electricity they use through energy efficiency and conservation initiatives. A substantial portion of this commitment is dedicated to helping lower the overall usage of low-income customers through conservation, weatherization and energy efficiency. This will ensure that low-income customers, as well as other TXU Energy customers, receive the benefits of the commitment the company has made to increase overall investments in energy efficiency and conservation.
About TXU Energy
TXU Energy is a market-leading competitive retailer that provides electricity and related services to more than 2.2 million electricity customers in Texas. TXU Energy offers a variety of innovative products and solutions, allowing both its residential and business customers to choose options that best meet their needs, including exceptional customer service, competitively priced electricity service plans, innovative energy efficiency options, renewable energy programs and other electricity-related products and services. Visit txuenergy.com for more information about TXU Energy.