What is the Scam:
TXU Energy is aware of a recent phone scam regarding the collection of past due balances where the caller is claiming to be from TXU Energy. In this scam, customers are told their power will be turned off unless they purchase a prepaid card and call back with the card number. Since a prepaid card is already funded, the scammer just needs the card number to access the funds.
The TXU Energy Commitment:
Please know that these types of phone calls are NOT from TXU Energy. TXU Energy is dedicated to protecting your information. We want our customers to be informed about these situations in order to avoid being exposed to financial risk if they follow the instructions of the phony collection “agent”.
Recognizing Fraudulent Communications:
While TXU Energy may contact customers or former customers by phone and email for various reasons, including the collection of delinquent balances, TXU Energy will never:
- Ask you to purchase a prepaid card and call back with the information in order to pay an outstanding or delinquent balance.
- Ask for you to provide personal information in an email.
- Perform door-to-door collections at your residence or place of business.
Precautions to Protect You:
TXU Energy recommends taking the following precautions to protect your information:
- Report suspicious activity promptly.
- Collect as many details as possible related to a suspicious call, such as the dialogue, the phone number from which they were contacted and the date of the event.
- Don’t click on any suspicious links contained within emails.
Reporting Suspicious Activity:
Contact us if you receive calls asking for a payment via a prepaid card or if you feel you are the victim of any other scams using the TXU Energy name.
- Send an email to email@example.com
- Residential customers, call 1-800-242-9113
- Business customers, call 1-888-399-5501